Sunday, September 7, 2008

National Sequoia Park and Vegas

Well, we tried car camping again and this time it was successful. We had a fabulous time sightseeing and just hanging out by the camp site. If you have never seen a Sequoia you have to do it because they are amazing trees. After three short days of camping we were off to visit Poppa and Mimi in Vegas. Poppa planned a trip for Mimi's birthday and since Vegas is pretty close to us and we love to drive Aaron decided we should hang out for a few days with my parents. It was nice to see my parents and for Ashby to see her grandparents. I was super excited about having a bed to sleep in and a toilet nearby. However, this was my first visit to Vegas and I definitely plan on visiting it again but without children or being pregnant. Yep, if you are just finding this out - you got it - I am 13 weeks pregnant. Another post.

Family Vacation 2008 - always more photos at Aaron's flickr.



Within minutes Ashby is helping out, looking for bears, and getting dirty.





Ashby's First Smores Experience



Being very cautious of the fire.



Mmmm.... this is good. Every morning she asked for a marshmallow for breakfast. Just two mommy - just two.



The mornings were COLD! Ashby was just fine as long as she had her pink jacket, red scarf, and hat. If any of them were missing the entire park knew about it at 6:00 am - Ashby time.



Our only hike consisted of a 2 mile loop and Ashby did well in the hikers backpack. Very Well.



The Luna Bar - 12 Weeks



You have to hug a Sequoia.





Massive Trunk - crazy.





The biggest tree in the world - Sherman Tree.



A group of Sequoias gathered together - The Senate.



Later on during the day we visited the Crystal Cave. A half mile hike down - 30 stories down. The tour lasts for an hour and you need to come prepared with jackets because it is 50 degrees inside the cave. It felt good to me and especially since I am already overheating with a little one in the oven. Once again my little girl did an excellent job.

If you are ever have a chance I recommend this tour for any age person. I really found it interesting and learned several things but I am not going to go into detail here. Just enjoy the photos - :)





The Cave Girls! Elizabeth, the tour guide, gave Ashby her very own flashlight to use during the tour.



Also, I must mention Aaron did a fantastic job carrying Ashby back up the mountain - 30 stories up!



Out of the clear blue a playdate shows up one morning.



A little while later mommy plays a 3 year old game and guess what - I screwed up the directions! Yep, Aaron had to help me out. I must be experiencing prego brain. :)



We love to catch Ashby jumping - Sequoia Museum.









Off to see Kings Canyon Park - had a little pit stop on the way.

A time out on the side of the road but the best part is Aaron had an amazing view to look at while Ashby sorted herself out!!! We were entertained by Ashby crying throughout the entire drive but eventually she crashed out in the car and took a two hour nap.





Ashby the Explorer! Aaron and Ashby went off on a nature walk while I visited the showers in the main hall. A much needed shower!!!! I even took time to pain my toe nails which I noticed some women were looking at me strange - I don't care. :) I was getting ready for Vegas!!!!!

Ashby has her walking stick in hand and is roughing it through the brush.





The even ran into a deer and Ashby was trying to pet it.



Heading to Vegas! When we arrived Poppa and Mimi greeted us out front of the MGM. I use to receive the first hug but I am lucky if Mimi hugs me within an hour or so of our arrival. :) Mimi loves her baby!!!!



Ashby just needed to be in black and white. :)





Vegas Food - Since I can't enjoy endless amounts of wine I go to the next best thing - a Vegas BUFFET!!! We ate at the Mandalay buffet on Friday night and I pretty much ate the same thing over and over - boiled shrimp and crab legs. Yummmmyyyyyy!!!!!



Ashby cracks me up - she is always performing exercises that she sees me doing with my mommies during Stroller Strides. Ashby is doing a wall sit - good job Ashby.



After a big dinner we decided to take the tram back to the hotel - very good idea. It was extremely hot and muggy this evening - big time.

Poppa must be saying something very important because he has all of our attention.



Hanging with Poppa - Ashby is "into" castles and princesses so she was completely taken by this hotel.



My Family - Mimi gave Ashby several new things - clothes, some toys, and an apple purse. Ashby carried the apple purse everywhere and she still does.



On Saturday morning, Ashby played in the pool for three hours and she could have stayed longer. She was so busy talking to other girls and introducing herself that time just swept away. I have video of her swimming and I will get that uploaded very soon.

1 comment: